The powwow committee and business committee met this afternoon by phone. We have reviewed and discussed available data from the Center of Disease Control regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The agreed upon decision has not been easy. We have considered the safety of our elders, along with that of all other tribal members, employees, and the general public.
With much deliberation, we have agreed to postpone the 148th Annual Quapaw Powwow, until such time as more favorable data is released on the decline of new cases and the easing of social distancing guidelines.
This has been a long thought process and has weighed heavily on our hearts and minds. We hope to protect & preserve our tribe. As new data is reported, we will meet and, hopefully, be able to reschedule a powwow for later on this year.
Mike Shawnee, Chairman
Quapaw Powwow Committee